Sunday, February 04, 2007

Progress- Oprah Winfrey

Oprah Winfrey is arguably one of the most influential icons of the world. As a woman, I have always admired Oprah Winfrey because her life journey truly epitomizes the "American Dream"; It is thanks to Oprah Winfrey that many people like myself have never lost hope about what can be accomplished in one’s life. From her childhood in the prejudice and impoverished South to her status as the first Black American billionaire, her accomplishments are limitless. Despite harsh criticisms and efforts to break her down, Oprah has become one of the most influential voices because of her philanthropic, educational and social efforts and her commitment to heal the world through culture and morality.
Researching Oprah’s life has proved be quite a difficult task (simply because Oprah has touched every aspect of American popular culture) but I am dedicated to researching her not so much as a television host, an actress or a philanthropist but more so as a woman and a human being. Undoubtedly, Oprah’s public persona defines her but her passion for books, slavery and the black women who paved ways for her are some of the things that make Oprah who she is outside of the spotlight.
The two books I’ve read thus far are "Oprah Winfrey: A Biography" by Helen S. Garson and "Oprah Winfrey Speaks: Insight of the World’s Most Influential Voice" by Janet Lowe and Oprah Winfrey.
These quotes are the ones that caught my attention. These quotes are helping me understand Oprah:
1."The fact that I was created a Black woman in this lifetime, everything in my life is built around honoring that. I feel a sense of reverence to that. I hold it sacred. And I am always asking myself the question ‘What do I owe in service of having been created a Black woman."

2."I have crossed over the backs of Sojourner Truth, Harriet Tubman, Fannie Lou Hamer, and Madam C. J. Walker. Because of them I can now live the dream. I am the seed of the free, and I know it. I intend to bear great fruit."

3. "I am what I am because of my grandmother. My strength. My sense of reasoning. Everything. All that was set by the time I was six."

(Oprah has always given praise to the pioneers of the African-American community who positively shaped her life. It is with the courage and strength of people like Sojourner Truth and her grandmother that Oprah was able to persevere. She lives her life knowing that she has a responsibility to be a positive role model just like those who were role models for her.)

4."Blackness is something I just am. I’m Black. I’m a woman. I wear a size 10 shoe. It’s all the same to me."

5. "I always feel if you do right, right will follow."

(Oprah refuses to frame herself; She consistently tries to escape social and political constraints and she takes pride in knowing that the broadness and righteousness of cultures and morals are the key to understanding her success.)

I'm currently looking for more books and people that can help me further my research.

No comments: