Monday, December 11, 2006

progress

I am very excited to work on gathering research for the journalist Amy Goodman, co-founder of the radio show "Democracy Now" ("probably the most significant progressive news institution that has come around in some time" ). I have not exactly worked up a storm of research as of yet, but this winter break should be pretty relaxing and I should have plenty of time to work on gathering that perfect quote.
Given that WBAI is located right on Wall Street, I am trying to set up a time to interview Amy Goodman. I have explored the official website of Democracy Now and WBAI and was unable to find Amy Goodman's e-mail listed, but was able to obtain more general emails and contacts. I will go about the process of setting up an interview time for sometime during break. Recently I borrowed a book that she co-authored, The Exception to the Rulers: Exposing Oily Politicians, War Profiteers, and the Media That Love Them, from the library. She also writes a weekly column called "Breaking the Sound Barrier" which I plan to sift through for quotes.
Right now, I think that the quote I find that embodies her life and work will probably involve such issues as media distortion and the role or calling of the journalist--something along the lines of "Going to where the silence is. That is the responsibility of a journalist: giving a voice to those who have been forgotten, forsaken, and beaten down by the powerful. " I am still in the process of acquiring research and hopefully setting up an interview to speak with her personally, to get more a sense of who she is and what she is fighting for. I am also listening to the radio archives of her radio show.
A meeting on Sunday would be feasible for me, but I would not be able to stay for longer than about an 1/2-1 hr--due. of course, to finals.

--Veronica

1 comment:

Mireille Miller said...

Veronica: This sounds very promising already and I like your approach to finding the right quote for Amy Goodman. In terms of trying to interview her, given that Democracy Now is in the City, you might send her or deliver a letter to her including a brochure that would explain the whole project. I have plenty of brochures.
Mireille